Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Art and God...

One June 30th Crossway will release Francis Schaeffer: An Authentic Life. This (which I'm very excited about) and a recent post by Matt Johnson on the Doxologist Blog, has sparked my thinking in regards to art (specifically music) and God.

I went through a brief legalistic phase in high school, throwing away my secular CDs and refusing to watch R rated movies... then I read my Bible. I realized an important truth that Schaeffer points out so eloquently... when creativity is expressed, it is God's creativity. When an unbeliever paints a beautiful landscape he/she is expressing the goodness of God's creation. Of course, these creative expressions are damaged by sin... but that does not mean that God cannot be seen or heard in them.

I think many Christians miss out on the beauty of God's creation because so much of it is not under the label: "CHRISTIAN"

Colossians 1:16-17 "For by Him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities-- all things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together."

Don't misread. I am fully aware of the fact that much of the music and art in the world is blatantly dishonoring to God. Christians have to be discerning. But to limit your CD selection to only what they sell at Lifeway is to ignore the fact that the sovereign God of the universe is revealing himself in soooo many other ways!

With a discerning spirit, let us acknowledge the One True Creative Being in all things... music, paintings, poetry, novels, etc.

Random thoughts from T-Rex on legalism (fits the discussion)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home