Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What a Way to Go...

A student at my church asked me yesterday, "Kevin, how would you want to die?" I answered like many people would, "In my sleep. That way I would wake up and see Jesus." Then I read the account of Polycarp's Martyrdom. Needless to say, I changed my mind.

Hearing his captors had arrived one evening, Polycarp left his bed to welcome them, ordered a meal prepared for them, and then asked for an hour alone to pray. The soldiers were so impressed by Polycarp’s advanced age and composure that they began to wonder why they had been sent to take him, but as soon as he had finished his prayers, they put him on a donkey and brought him to the city. Brought before the tribunal and the crowd, Polycarp refused to deny Christ, although the proconsul begged him to ‘consider yourself and have pity on your great age. Reproach Christ and I will release you.’

Polycarp replied, ‘Eighty-six years I have served Him, and He has never once wronged me. How can I blaspheme my King, who saved me?’ Threatened with wild beasts and fire, Polycarp stood his ground. ‘What are you waiting for? Do whatever you please.’ The crowd demanded Polycarp’s death, gathering wood for the fire and preparing to tie him to the stake. ‘Leave me,’ he said. ‘He who will give me strength to sustain the fire will help me not to flinch from the pile.’ So they bound him but didn’t nail him to the stake.

As soon as Polycarp finished his prayer, the fire was lit, but it leaped up around him, leaving him unburned, until the people convinced a soldier to plunge a sword into him. When he did, so much blood gushed out that the fire was extinguished. The soldiers then placed his body into a fire and burned it to ashes, which some Christians later gathered up and buried properly.(From Foxe's Book of Martyrs


(From: Tullian Tchividjian. His new book looks sweet.)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

on the web -site of the huge choice of selected news about [url=http://volkshistory.com/]volkswagen 5[/url].

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

99, while the Sansa Clip+ has an entry price of $39. I know a lot more music
now than before and have changed my tastes. Be comfortable
in its open-air concept restaurant, where you might even sit in
a table and look up to see stars in a clear night sky.


Also visit my weblog http://www.dailystrength.org/people/2890954/journal/6187264

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we have on this web blog you can see a huge range of articles about smart [url=http://title-publishing.org/]российский криминал[/url].

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's think of words that sound dirty but really aren't.
A bowler who can consistently pick up his spares can easily
hold a 180 average without getting any strikes. As ever we strive to help our customers make informed decisions and understand
where their r4 cards are coming from.

Visit my blog post www.ntet.co.uk

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home